Siberia Experience – Flight, Walk & Jet Boat
Fly – 25min, Walk – 3hrs, Jetboat – 30min
Experience a true New Zealand wilderness adventure. Fly, Walk, and Jet boat, the best way to spend a day exploring New Zealand’s most spectacular alpine environment. Siberia Experience, the ultimate adventure where unexpected delights of Nature await at every turn. Natural, pristine, ancient, extraordinary – everywhere you look there is more and more….
Fly amongst the towering mountains of Mt Aspiring World Heritage National Park to the remote and spectacular Siberia Valley.
Land amongst the towering mountains beside the crystal clear Siberia Stream.
Walk amongst the towering mountains of Mt Aspiring World Heritage National Park to the beautiful Wilkin Valley.
Jetboat amongst the towering mountains on the clear, pure waters of the Wilkin and Makarora Rivers.
- Amongst alpine valleys
- Over beautiful mountain lakes and waterfalls
- Past spectacular glaciers and snowcapped mountains.
- Land in a truly remote back country valley
- Across open tussock flats
- Amongst vibrant native rainforest
- Surrounded by incredible mountain vistas
- Crystal clear glacial mountain river
- The ultimate in shallow river jetboating
- Amongst native bush, pristine river valleys and ice capped mountains.
- Depart from Makarora, State Highway 6, 45mins north of Wanaka, 1hr 30 mins south of Haast, or 2 hours from Queenstown. Meet us at our desk inside the Wonderland Makarora Lodge at 5944 Haast Pass-Makarora Road, Makarora 9382. (This is on the main West Coast Highway, Makarora West) This is a very scenic drive, through the mountains and around the shores af Lakes Hawea and Wanaka.
- What to bring: Camera, warm water proof outer layer, suitable hiking footwear, sunscreen, sunglasses, insect repellent (can be purchased at departure point) sport sandals or water shoes for crossing Siberia Stream if desired, or borrow from our supply at check in. Snack food, water supply and anything else for your own personal comfort during a half day in the NZ outdoors.
- Siberia Experience, How your day unfolds – On the morning of your Siberia Experience, please phone us before leaving your accommodation for a weather check. The weather can be quite different at Makarora than it is in Wanaka or elsewhere so do call to save yourself the drive if the weather is not suitable. Allow approx 1 hour to drive the 60km from Wanaka to the departure point, check in with the Southern Alps Air/Siberia Experience Team 30 minutes prior to your departure time at the Wonderland Makarora Lodge, Makarora West.
- Your Fly-Walk-Jetoat journey begins with a 25 minute scenic flight amongst the Southern Alps within the World Heritage listed Mt Aspiring National Park. This spectacular flight ticks all the boxes… plus! Enjoy unobstructed views from window seats as you soak in the unexpected delights of the NZ wilderness, along with the ones we know and expect such as pristine glaciers, plunging waterfalls, hidden lakes and tarns and many more Alpine Highlights. One last turn and we are on approach to land in the middle of the mountains in the remote and stunning Siberia Valley. Step out onto the valley floor and feel the raw power of nature as you gaze skyward to the tops of the towering peaks that surround you. Once on the ground your pilot will explain about the walk and track before waving goodbye and taking off again, leaving you to enjoy the beauty that surrounds you.
- The Walk from Siberia Valley to the Wilkin Valley is described as a Freedom Walk (unguided), in the Mt Aspiring National Park. When taking part in this activity, you are responsible for your safety and wel-being. Some parts have steep drop offs on the side so be cautious at all times. Your pilot will accompany you to the stream crossing at the beginning of the track where you will be given an oral briefing on the track and conditions and have an opportunity to ask any last minute questions.
- The Track is clearly marked with orange markers, it travels South down the valley then enters the native rain forest and begins to climb out of the Siberia Valley. The track is 7km in length and takes 2.5-3hrs to complete.
- Section 1 is 3km to the highest point of the track
- Section 2 is a 2.5km downhill zig-zag track into the Wilkin Valley
- Section 3 is 1.5km along the river valley to the jetboat pick up point which is clearly marked.
- Medium level of fitness required – As long as you know you can walk up-hill and down-hill sections and you can walk for up to 3 hours then the walk should be no problem but it is up to you to judge. If you have any concerns please contact us prior or discuss on the day at check in.
- You will be given a pickup time from the jetboat comapny prior to departing from Makarora.
- Siberia Experience provides transport in and out of the Mt Aspiring National Park for you. Please ensure you bring everything you will need for your own safety and personal comfort during a day in the outdoors.
- The Siberia Experience package can be booked on-line here. FYI, the flight is operated by Southern Alps Air and the jetboat is operated by Wilkin River Jets. The walk is a freedom walk on a Department of Conservation maintained track. A $21 per person Department of Conservation fee is included in your fare. This goes directly back to Department of Conservation for conservation and maintenance efforts within this area of the Mt Aspiring World Heritage National Park.